Friday 17 September 2010

INTERVIEW: Chef Chloe Coscarelli


Chef Chloe
Originally uploaded by loveyourlunch
At just 23, Chloe Coscarelli has already earned the reputation as a serious talent in the kitchen. The worthy victor of Food Network’s ‘Cupcake Wars’ with her Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake cupcake recipe, and an impressive pedigree of experience as chef at some of the best vegetarian restaurants in the states. More of her recipes can be found at her refreshingly down-to-earth blog and web presence www.chefchloe.com


This is a sneak preview of what will hopefully be printed as a feature for the next edition of 'The Vegan' magazine...

I auditioned for Cupcake Wars on a whim after I read about it on twitter. I had no clue whether the Food Network would take a vegan, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I absolutely love interacting with the community and helping them to make great-tasting vegan food. It is very rewarding to hear when someone makes one of my dishes for their families, boyfriend, co-workers etc. and they get the thumbs up.

My Mom taught me that there really is no such thing as a cooking disaster. Nobody really knows it’s a mistake but you, and it probably tastes fine. Why tell anyone?

Vegan is definitely a trend for the Hollywood crowd. When I catered for the E! Awards, the celebs totally loved the fact that my cupcakes were vegan – it was incredible.

I decided to pursue chef’s school during my college years at UC Berkley. In college, I began cooking a lot for my friends. I really enjoyed feeding them and they didn’t seem to mind, which encouraged me even more.

Make learning to cook easy on yourself. Start with a simple recipe – no more than 6 – 8 ingredients and follow the directions carefully. I guarantee that you will surprise yourself. As you develop as a cook, my number 1 tip is to taste as you and go with your gut. If you think it needs more of this or that ingredient then put it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment